Christmas Mini Quilts - Getting the Most From 5 Fat Quarters




Christmas Mini Quilts
Getting the Most From 5 Fat Quarters






I've had a stack of five Christmas fat quarters for longer than I'd like to admit. Too many ideas filtered through my head until I finally decided on trying to get the most out of the fabric.  Since the pattern isn't specific to the holidays, this can be applied to any set of fabric.

I cut all five fat quarters into four inch strips, and then into 4 inch squares, keeping all scraps to the side. 

From this I separated them out first into the larger table runner using 36 squares, and arranging them into a rectangle of 4 by 9.  I decided to go with an angled pattern for the layout, but you could also place them randomly.  The finished size is 13 inches by 29 inches. This one fits well on the coffee table and the dining room table.







I then layed out four rectangular place mats using 12 squares each.  I used a similar pattern layout as the table runner.  In fact, I keep this part the same for all of the mini quilts, the only thing I changed was the order of the fabric.   The finished size is 10 1/2 inches by 13 inches.





Next I did the second table runner, making a square of 16 in total.   The finished size is 13 inches by 13 inches. 









With the scraps, I made three mug rugs or pot holders.   The finished size is 5 1/2 inches by 7 inches.






For the quilting, I used a red thread and simply stitched in the ditch for all pieces except the mug rugs. For the mug rugs, I echoed the seams to add more texture. 

For the backing and binding I used solid red fabric.  I got this on sale at Joann's a long time ago; I like having solid colored fabrics for binding.



Happy creating, and happy quilting!







For business inquires, contact me at: KristinVictoriaArt@gmail.com

To view prints on various items, visit: society6.com/KristinVictoria

To view more photos from the studio and my life on flickr, visit: tinyurl.com/kvartflickr

Follow me on Twitter, at: @KristinV_Art

Find me on Goodreads at: tinyurl.com/kj-reads




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Making: Magazine Junk Journal

2016: A Quilting and Sewing Year in Review