Red, White, and Blue - 4 Years in the Making.

As many quilters can tell you, sometimes, quilts take a long time to come to completion. This red, white, and blue quilt is no different. 



This one began in late 2012, after a heart breaking death, which I won't go into on here. I poured over so many star patterns on-line, trying to pick the ones I liked, ones that would be "good enough" for the red, white, and blue quilt I wanted to make.

I ended up saving over 60 images of quilt star patterns and began trying to arrange them into a pattern via photoshop and many, many sketches. Nothing I liked worked, which made my determination grow.  Eventually I came to like a few certain stars, and drafted them myself on graph paper.  I enjoy drafting out patterns and blocks this way, as I'm a visual person.  I also did this, so that the measurements were to my liking.














Next came finding the fabric which also took a long time. I adore glitter, but did not want any glittered fabrics for this quilt. I searched and searched for solids in a rustic, somber palette. I luckily found all these fabrics at connectingthreads.com, they have a beautiful selection of high quality quilting fabric. I believe they still have some of these prints / fabrics available.




Then came the many, many days of sewing the top of the quilt. This part took me a long time, some days it would make me cry, other days it made me happy; I would work on it until I couldn't handle it emotionally any more, then put it away. This quilt helped me move through more things than I thought possible. I had heard of other quilters in my old quilting group talk about how working on a particular quilt can be therapeutic, but I have never experienced it until working on this one.











Time jump.. for over a year, I had it sandwiched and had five to seven blocks finished, and that's how it sat for a very long time. I would pull it out and work on it periodically, mainly when I'd feel guilty for not working on it. I'd easily put it off to work on other sewing and creative projects as well as work and social occasions.







A few months ago, I said enough was enough. I had a habit of leaving this quilt in progress in my I Heart Project Linus bag beside my side of the couch, and I had grown tired of seeing it sit there, silently judging me for my abandonment. With new found vigor, I finished it within a month or so of off and on work. I "cheated" and bought the binding from a local sewing shop, as I just wanted it done.

With loads of support from various people, 4 years of intermittent work, lots of emotions and mental healing - it is now finished, sitting on our small sofa, and it brings a small smile to my face whenever I see it. 




















 As odd as this is to say, I think we're finally friends. 




Happy creating, and happy quilting!







For business inquires, contact me at: KristinVictoriaArt@gmail.com

To view original paintings, visit: etsy.com/shop/KristinVictoriaArt

To view prints on various items, visit: society6.com/KristinVictoria

To view more photos from the studio and my life on flickr, visit: tinyurl.com/kvartflickr

Follow me on Twitter, at: @KristinV_Art

Find me on Instagram at: instagram.com/kvjaenicke17

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Making: Magazine Junk Journal

Christmas Mini Quilts - Getting the Most From 5 Fat Quarters

2016: A Quilting and Sewing Year in Review