Simple Vintage Christmas Decor.


I have a not so small obsession with vintage Christmas ornaments and décor. Even as a small child, my favorite pieces where the few vintage bulbs that were my grandmother's. Luckily my husband shares my adoration of these fragile, vintage beauties.  It took me awhile to get our small collection set about the house in a manner that pleased us both.  I went for a simple display method of our favorite pieces to add to the Christmas feel of our house.


We don't have a proper fire place here in Texas, but we do have a small decorative space heater that works wonderfully.  Atop it, I placed a wood painting my mother made me from the 90's, as well as a nativity book she embroidered.




Since our little faux fire place is so small our stockings can't really be hug on it with care. Luckily immediately to the left of our fire place is a small book shelf that is the perfect size for them.  In addition to the stockings, also made by my mother, I've added small, fake point poinsettia flowers of red velvet with red glitter centers.











On top of our other small book shelf, to add a touch of Christmas, I used a small garland of white berries and a teal, glass tree filled with silver tinsel.




The tree itself, I feel, is always the center piece of Christmas décor. This is our first year we were able to put up the tree. Decorating it together is a precious memory that I will cherish always.  We don't have a topper yet, trying to find a vintage or vintage themed one has been harder than expected, but I think it works well so far without one. Eventually, we might add beaded garland or tinsel, but for simplicity sake, and because of the cats, we have left those elements off the tree.  The tree skirt is a simple deep ruby faux fur skirt, with Velcro closures at the back.  Around the top of the room are blue icicle lights and blue string lights. We're suckers for the blue glow. I know it's not very traditional in a vintage sense, but it's something that we've both done since we were young.




Boo loves that the tree is back, as evident with the green sparkly toy under the tree as well. Luckily, Astrid's first tree interactions have been very non-destructive. Neither kitty has tried to climb the tree or play with ornament. Though I did put a few, not so vintage ones, down near the bottom incase they wanted to play with some of the bulbs.




There is a very small bookshelf directly next to the tree. On the very top is a stack of vintage books, which I placed a ceramic hand painted ornament by my great grandmother on top.  The angel is also ceramic with a faux pearl heart.  I didn't want to put either of these items on the tree as I was a little fearful of their weight and fragility being on the tree the whole time.  This is also a great alternative to show them off, that I love.




Detail of some of the ornaments on the tree.










Besides the various vintage ornaments there are a few hand painted ceramic ones that my great grandmother made.











Happy creating, and happy decorating!






For business inquires, contact me at: KristinVictoriaArt@gmail.com

To view original paintings, visit: etsy.com/shop/KristinVictoriaArt

To view prints on various items, visit: society6.com/KristinVictoria

To view more photos from the studio and my life on flickr, visit: tinyurl.com/kvartflickr

Follow me on Twitter, at: @KristinV_Art

Find me on Instagram at: instagram.com/kvjaenicke17

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Making: Magazine Junk Journal

Christmas Mini Quilts - Getting the Most From 5 Fat Quarters

2016: A Quilting and Sewing Year in Review