Deployment Distractions: Reading List




Deployment Distractions: Reading List



I think we can all agree that books are a great way to escape from life for a little while.  And as my reading has been somewhat irregular as of late, I thought I would put together a short reading list of big books that I can just sink into and forget about the world.  Most of these are books I haven't read yet but have been really wanting to for a long time. 






The Biography of J.R.R. Tolkien: Architect of Middle-Earth
by: Daniel Grotta

One of the many biographies that I want to read.  As I'm sure you know, if you've seen my other book posts, I adore Tolkien and have since I was 11. Needless to say, when I saw this at a second hand book store, I was so delighted, and was smiling the whole way home.




The Life and Times of William Shakespeare
by: Peter Levi

Along with Tolkien, I adore Shakespeare. I've watched many versions of his various plays, read many of his plays, and watched a few documentaries on him as well, so this should come as no surprise to be on my list. 




Folk Tales of the British Isles
Edited by: Kevin Crossley-Holland

My love of folk lore and tales is a deep one and I can't wait to sink my teeth into this big edition of them.  I've been in a Norse mythology kick lately and I think this might be a nice deviation of mythologies and lores for a little while.




The Picture of Dorian Gray
by Oscar Wilde

Hubby got me this edition when we were barely dating. I've been meaning to read it since after I first read Frankenstein, ages ago. I know it's supposed to be dark and weird, but sometimes I need dark and weird. I've also heard that there's some unexpected humor / dark humor, which just peaks my interest more.




The Love You Make: An Insider's Story of the Beatles
by: Peter Brown & Steven Gaines

I grew up listening to the Beatles and still adore their music.  This one has been sitting on my shelf staring at me since I got it. And after reading a short book on the why and when of the writing of their songs, well, this one just seems like a better read more and more.




The Original Frankenstein
by Mary Shelley

This one, I am so excited to reread. I first read Frankenstein in high school and I love, love, loved it.  When I found this version that has two editions of it, I was overjoyed.  I had been meaning to get it for awhile, as well as reread the book in general, and this is, in my opinion, the perfect way to reread it, again, again. I did read this this last summer, but it's one of those stories that I don't mind revisiting.




The Poetic Edda
by unknown, translated by Carolyne Larrington

Basically since I found out about The Poetic Edda, I've been wanting to read it.  I have over the years read parts of it but I'd like to devour it all in order.




The Man in the Iron Mask
by Alexandre Dumas

Along with The Three Musketeers, this is one that has been taunting my to read list for ages. 




The Count of Monte Cristo
by Alexandre Dumas

I first watched the film version of his when I was sick one weekend in middle school. I've been wanting to read it ever since. I know the book version has differences which I've already been spoiled to, but I still want to read it regardless. I actually have two copies of this now, and my newer copy is much easier to read.  When a book is this long, I think it's alright to search around for the copy you really want.




I'd also like to add Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin, and her other works to this list, most of my copies are in ebook form.  So, I apologize for it / them not being pictured.  I haven't read it yet, but I want to and have been putting it off for a long time.

As with most of my reading lists, I'm not sure if I'll get to most of these, but I sure hope I do. This list, like the others, are great inspiration and motivation to read them.



Happy creating, and happy mental health, and happy reading!







For business inquires, contact me at: KristinVictoriaArt@gmail.com

To view prints on various items, visit: society6.com/KristinVictoria

To view more photos from the studio and my life on flickr, visit: tinyurl.com/kvartflickr

Follow me on Twitter, at: @KristinV_Art

Find me on Instagram at: instagram.com/kvjaenicke17


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Making: Magazine Junk Journal

Christmas Mini Quilts - Getting the Most From 5 Fat Quarters

2016: A Quilting and Sewing Year in Review