2017 Bookish Wrap Up and Review




2017 Bookish Wrap Up and Review



I usually forget to review my tbr for the previous year. This year, I'd like to change things up a bit and see how well I did.  And generally reflect upon my past reading for the year.  My top 2017 reads will be in a different post.

Of the 34 books I wanted to read, I read a few, which were: Esme of Paris, Macbeth, Range of Light, The Mystery of Meteors, and Seed of the Serpent.

I did start reading My Blue Notebooks, The Birth of Venus, Dancing for Degas, Mystic Fire, Maybe If I Loved You More, and Essence of Love. Sadly, I wasn't feeling any of them at all. I really did try, but it was a combination of the fact that I wasn't in the mood for them, they weren't what I thought they were going to be, I didn't care for the narration style, and for the poetry collections - I wasn't digging the love poems. Weird I know, but there were also a few others, that I can't remember now, that I started to read that I eventually gave up for another book.  This happened a few times last year, and even more times this year.  Please tell me I'm not the only one this happens to. I think part of it is due to a book hang over; when the last book I read was soo good that I just don't know where to go from there.

As for my goal of reading at least five Shakespearean plays, I did read a few, only one which was on my tbr list. The ones I did read were: Twelfth Night, King Lear, Macbeth, As You Like It, Othello, Tinus Andronicus, and The Taming of the Shrew. (Bonus of watching Coriolanus.)

I also completed my mini goal of reading at least 20 books by June. I don't know why I set this for myself or when I thought of it. But I usually do loose reading mo jo around the holidays, so I'm glad I've accomplished this goal earlier in the year.

And by August, I had read my 30 books for the year and realized that only one third of the books I had read were published during my life time.  I read a lot, a lot of older texts.  Some from the 60's and some from the 40's but more from 1800's and 1600's and some even older.. There's nothing wrong with this, but it was just a little startling (and kinda nice) to realize that my reading this year has an older trend to it.

I also hit a few other smaller reading goals this year such as reading 40 books, and then 50 books by the end of November.  Both of which were just personal challenges which with everything else happening this year, I needed to do for me.

April was the month I read the least, I don't think I even finished a book that month.  And November was my most read month. I read nine or ten books in their entirety and finished a few others.  I also read more short stories in November than I think I have in any other month. So I think it's safe to say that November helped even out my reading malaise in April.

2017 was a very interesting reading year, it definitely helped with dealing with the military, training exercises, deployment, and family stuff.  I can only assume that that will be the case as well in 2018. I've already been putting together my tentative TBR for 2018, and I gotta tell you, I'm getting excited!



Happy creating, and happy reading!






For business inquires, contact me at: KristinVictoriaArt@gmail.com

To view prints on various items, visit: society6.com/KristinVictoria

To view more photos from the studio and my life on flickr, visit: tinyurl.com/kvartflickr

Follow me on Twitter, at: @KristinV_Art

Find me on Goodreads at: tinyurl.com/kj-reads

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Making: Magazine Junk Journal

Christmas Mini Quilts - Getting the Most From 5 Fat Quarters

2016: A Quilting and Sewing Year in Review