Book Making: Deployment Gift




Book Making: Deployment Gift






Before hubby left for his deployment, I wanted to make him a notebook for whatever he wanted to use it for while he's gone.  I've made him books in the past, and he always finds a unique use for them that I never would have thought of. One of them, he's using to document native edible flora of all the places we've been too.  I'm sure he'll surprise me with what he ends up using this one for as well.



To start, I took 40 blank, white, ordinary printer paper sheets and cut them down to 8 inches by 10 inches.  I then dyed the pages with loose leaf British Breakfast tea.  And folded them all in half with a  bone folder.




This step isn't necessary, but I did evenly distributed the papers by texture and intensity of the dye that they took. This way I can more easily distribute papers evenly throughout the book.  I separated the sheets into three piles: one for splatters, one for wrinkle texture, and one for softer dyed paper.




I then took from the three piles to create ten signatures of four pages each.




I used a pencil to make seven marks for piercing and then stitching, one inch apart.




For the end pages, I used the same blank printer paper and a coffee / tea mixture to dye them.





For the stitching, I used a soft brown thread that I ran through bees wax before stitching.

I then glued the spine to make it stronger while having it pressed. I used a simple, acid free liquid glue for this.

After that was done, I glued on the end pages, and then wrapped a piece of scrap paper around the spine to reinforce it.

For the spine, I used chip board.  The covers measure 8 1/4 inches by 5 1/4 inches.  The spine measures 1/2 inch by 8 1/4 inches.

To cover the bare chip board, I used 2 12 inch by 12 inch patterned papers in matching reds.

I then attached everything together.  It's a little irregular, but I think it adds to the charm and worn look of the book.












This was great to give to him before he left, but it would also make a great addition to any care package.



Happy creating, and happy book making!






For business inquires, contact me at: KristinVictoriaArt@gmail.com

To view prints on various items, visit: society6.com/KristinVictoria

To view more photos from the studio and my life on flickr, visit: tinyurl.com/kvartflickr

Follow me on Twitter, at: @KristinV_Art

Find me on Goodreads at: tinyurl.com/kj-reads

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Making: Magazine Junk Journal

Christmas Mini Quilts - Getting the Most From 5 Fat Quarters

2016: A Quilting and Sewing Year in Review