Creative Confessions, Part III




While I have been fairly active in various art projects, random projects around the house, and sewing... I really haven't painted in months.  I know I'm good at keeping myself busy with different projects, but even when I have extra studio time pop up I'm more inspired to work on other projects than pulling out a canvas and attacking it with acrylics.  This probably shouldn't worry me as much as it is. But I think it has been at the forefront of my mind because I consider painting one of my favorite past times even though I seem to hardly do it any more. Perhaps it's because it was one of my first loves of art. Studying and adoring different painters of the past and present only fueling my adoration of it all. 

I'm hoping that the small, warm up sketch book will help with easing back into a regular painting habit again. I'm also thinking that focusing on my not painting is just another way that I'm trying to distract myself from all the other things that are going on this year that I wish weren't. 

After a few months of art journaling actively, I took a few weeks break from it. I was feeling a bit burnt out from my high activity in the medium.  I also put off art journaling to try to finish a queen sized quilt, which is almost done.  It's been nice not thinking about it as much, but I'm starting to miss it a bit. I am in the odd in between point of finishing projects and debating on if I should continue in that medium or switch mediums. There's a few new and old quilt ideas floating in my head and I'm not sure which I will focus more on next: art journaling or quilting.  And it seems that quilting has won.

Along with everything else, the possibility of deployment, for some reason, I had mentally written off until it was staring me in the face when it was indeed going to be in our future. Trying to prepare for something, that will be affecting my husband and me for years to come, is overwhelming and exhausting before it even starts.  I'm a planner. I like planning, I love planning. And I love lists. But, this is unlike anything I've seen before when it comes to needing plans and lists for this and that, and just in case, and what ifs. And oh my gosh, talk about paper work and long conversations about unpleasant things.  Deployment is definitely one thing, or really several things rolled into one large thing, that I never thought would be part of my story. I know God doesn't give us things that we can't handle. I think sometimes I'm still processing that it's really happening. Some days it's not overwhelming and I know we'll both be fine. Other days I just want to stay in bed and cry.  I know it comes in waves, just like everything else. 

And I think until all of this is fully in progress and starting to be past tense, I'm going to just breathe and make more lists and plans, and try to paint more.



Happy creating, and mental health!






For business inquires, contact me at: KristinVictoriaArt@gmail.com

To view original paintings, visit: etsy.com/shop/KristinVictoriaArt

To view prints on various items, visit: society6.com/KristinVictoria

To view more photos from the studio and my life on flickr, visit: tinyurl.com/kvartflickr

Follow me on Twitter, at: @KristinV_Art

Find me on Instagram at: instagram.com/kvjaenicke17

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Making: Magazine Junk Journal

Christmas Mini Quilts - Getting the Most From 5 Fat Quarters

2016: A Quilting and Sewing Year in Review