Long Term Reading Goals




Since it's my birthday this week, and I'm a year older, but not sure about being a year wiser; I wanted to talk about books and book goals that I want to accomplish throughout my life time. 



Read all of Tolkien's work

I fell in love with his writing in 6th grade at the age of 11.  A long story short: a good friend told me the best lie I've ever been told while handing me her copy of The Hobbit and before I knew it, I was hooked.  Needless to say, I've read the Lord of the Rings and a few other books, by Tolkien but I can't seem to get enough. Finishing all of his writings is something that I've been longing to do for well over half of my life now. I'm working my way up to reading the Silmarillion, which when I found out how extensive it was, when I was in eighth grade, I figured it'd be better to read when I was more prepared to take it on.  I personally have two copies of the Lord of the Rings trilogy and hubby has one of his own - so in total we have three copies. I also may have dressed up as Frodo for a Lord of the Rings themed Halloween party as well. Hey, I'm a BIG fan, and I'm ok with it.

Of his works, I have read: The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Story of Kullervo, and The Tolkien Reader. 






Read all of Shakespeare's  plays and work

I fell in love with reading Shakespeare in high school.  The first play we had to read was Romeo and Juliet. I remember thinking to myself "I'm going to read all of this, even if it's crap and I don't like it." I had indeed read all of it, and then ended up helping other people in my class understand it, as we never read anything written like it.  With the next few plays we read, like Macbeth, I just adored his writing even more. After reading as Banquo in class, (and becoming attached to the character,) I  remember naming my Halo name at my friend's house after him. I've also been collecting his works individually and almost have them all.

Of his works, I have read: Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, Collection of Sonnets, Hamlet, The Winter's Tale, Much Ado About Nothing, Taming of the Shrew, Othello, The Comedy of Errors, As You Like It, All's Well That Ends Well, King Lear, and Twelfth Night.






Read all of Alan Furst's work

I came across Mission to Paris one day, by chance in a charity shop, as I have an (un)healthy obsession with books about Paris.  I read it and was completely addicted to his writing style, historic research, and story telling.  I was so excited to learn that he has written so many books.  I normally don't go for spy novels, but oh, these are just so beautifully written. I'm, also, slowly building up my collection of his works while reading them. I'm trying to pace myself so I don't burn through them within a few months.

Of his works, I have read: Mission to Paris, Blood of Victory, and The World at Night.






Read more of Ian McEwan's work

I loved Atonement, both book and movie. Both made me cry so, so many times and at different parts, oddly enough.  I'd elaborate more, but I don't want to ruin the story for you if you haven't read it.  Additionally, I have a physical and an audio book, of On Chisel Beach, that I still need to read / listen to. The more I hear about his various books, the more I want to read them.






Read more historical non-fiction

I have read a lot of historical non-fiction about World War II, and I probably won't be able to stop any time soon; I'm drawn to this time period and the amount of strength that humanity showed throughout it.  I would like to, however, read more historical non-fiction about other things throughout history.  I had a lot of friends in college that were history majors, hubby was even a history major, and I think perhaps, I should have minored in history too.






Read more about Ireland and its history

I have a small collection of Irish history books and Irish themed books that I adore and want to read more of.  Ireland is just one of those places that has been calling to me for so long, like Paris, and I can't say no.






Read more mythology, folk tales, etc.

I also fell in love with various mythologies, folk tales and lore, and old school gritty, gory fairy tales in high school.  I even considered going to college to teach on the subject. I have a healthy collection and moderate knowledge that continues to grow.  If you're as addicted as I am, then I recommend Jen Campbell over on YouTube. I think she has an amazing taste in books and I have gotten and read so many books because of her recommendations. The kind of knowledge and story telling that comes with myths, folk lore and tales are done in a way that I am constantly drawn to.  It can be part of a culture or history similar to mine or very far from it, but I find them so entrancing regardless. (The picture below is just a fraction of mine and hubby's collection of books in this area.)






Read more non-fiction that generally expands my knowledge

This would include books on the Middle East, Africa, North and South Korea, Gender Studies, Own Voices, various wars, etc. I don't have nor have read as many books on these subjects as I'd like, and I like to change it.






Read more books about music and pop culture

I have read a few non-fiction books in this genre and I love how funny, informative, serious, and sometimes historical they can be. I love reading these types of books in between much more serious and dark books.






Additionally, I want to:

- Read some of Jane Austin's works; I sadly haven't yet.

- Read (well, finish reading) The Three Musketeers. I grew up watching the movie version with Chris O'Donnell. And I've been obsessed ever since. I've watched almost any movie or tv show version that I can get my hands on. For example: hubby and I watched and own copies of the BBC show. And spoilers, we loved it. A second part of this, is I want to read more of Dumas' work. Yes, they're long and therefore a little intimidating to me, but I can't help it.  I also have copies of The Man in the Iron Mask and The Count of Monte Cristo staring at me from my shelf.

- Read: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, The Picture of Dorian Gray, (finish) Dracula, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and loads of others on my "to read" list on Good Reads and on Amazon.

- Read various biographies on Tolkien, Bing Crosby, Eleanor Roosevelt, and so many others.



I know I have a lot on my list, but there's so many good books out there. Whenever I think about it, I just think about how lucky I am that I have so much to look forward to.



Happy creating, and happy reading!






For business inquires, contact me at: KristinVictoriaArt@gmail.com

To view original paintings, visit: etsy.com/shop/KristinVictoriaArt

To view prints on various items, visit: society6.com/KristinVictoria

To view more photos from the studio and my life on flickr, visit: tinyurl.com/kvartflickr

Follow me on Twitter, at: @KristinV_Art

Find me on Instagram at: instagram.com/kvjaenicke17

Find me on Goodreads at: tinyurl.com/kj-reads

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Making: Magazine Junk Journal

Christmas Mini Quilts - Getting the Most From 5 Fat Quarters

2016: A Quilting and Sewing Year in Review