Book Making: The Mini Book of Mini Monsters




Mini Book of Mini Monsters



In the spirit of sending hubby a Harry Potter themed care package, which you can see more of here, I couldn't help but make a book. And as there are many books in Harry Potter I had a great selection to choose from, but there was one that just stood out to me more than the rest: The Monster Book of Monsters. 

I personally adore The Monster Book of Monsters. It's just so wonderful, weird, and creative that I want my own so badly! (I've actually been wanting to make one for a long time now.) But since this is for hubby and not me, I decided to make a Mini Book of Mini Monsters.  I've made hubby books before and mini books before, but none like this. It was so easy to make and rather enjoyable. I might make myself a Mini Book of Mini Monsters... or possibly a full sized version eventually... But anyways, without any further ado, here is how I made this adorable Mini Book of Mini Monsters!






Materials for this project are fairly simple and inexpensive.  For the pages I used printer paper, the book covers cardstock and printer paper, floss for binding, and for the slip cover of the 'Mini Monster' I used brown felt and yellow and black embroidery floss.




Cutting down the printer paper I first cut it down to 10 inches by 8 inches.  Then I cut that piece down to 5 sections of 2 inches by 8 inches. From there the 2 inch by 8 inch pieces were cut in half to make 2 inch by 4 inch pieces.




I ended up with 50 ish pieces that measured 2 inches by 4 inches.  I folded them all in half with a bone folder and I think this part was the most annoying simply because the pieces are so small.




I ended up with 12 signatures made of 4 pieces each.  I marked two points on all the signatures to stitch them together.




I used a light medium brown embroidery floss for the stitching.  I used two of the six that make up the floss and then ran it through a chunk of bees wax before stitching. If you've never used wax on your floss when stitching signatures together, I highly recommend it.  It helps the string from forming knots. 




I decided to make a typical cover for this to make it easier to make the felt mini monster part. For this, I used two pieces of thin cardstock that I glued together.  The front and back measures 2 1/8 inch by 2 1/8 inch.  The spine is 2 1/8 inch by 1/2 inch.  I then used more printer paper to make the cover into one piece.

After I added the end papers and a smaller paper wrapped around the spine, I glued the end papers to the cover.  So besides the fact that this little book is so small, it was made with all the steps of making a "normal" sized book.




 For the cover, since it will be covered with the felt monster slip cover, I couldn't help but write the title. "The Mini Book of Mini Monsters."




On the back cover, "From one Hufflepuff to her favorite Ravenclaw." Again, I couldn't help myself.




For the monster part, I made a felt slip cover.  The edges are cut into triangles and before stitching the eyes, I used a wire brush to make the felt fluffy and distressed.




For the eyes, I first used a sharpie to mark the spacing.  I then used all six strands of bright yellow embroidery floss.  I just went over the little spot until it was more dimensional.  I then took two strands of black embroidery floss and made only one stitch in the middle of each eye.

I then stitched another piece of felt on each end, to fully make the felt slip cover. I used a matching brown thread and very tiny stitches to try and hide them more.  The more distressed the felt is, the easier it is to hide the stitches.




I really, really adore this little guy! I had such a hard time putting him in the box to send to hubby.  And the more I look at it and pictures of it, the more I want to make a full sized Monster Book of Monsters.



Happy creating, and happy paper crafting!






For business inquires, contact me at: KristinVictoriaArt@gmail.com

To view prints on various items, visit: society6.com/KristinVictoria

To view more photos from the studio and my life on flickr, visit: tinyurl.com/kvartflickr

Follow me on Twitter, at: @KristinV_Art

Find me on Instagram at: instagram.com/kvjaenicke17

Find me on Goodreads at: tinyurl.com/kj-reads

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Making: Magazine Junk Journal

Christmas Mini Quilts - Getting the Most From 5 Fat Quarters

2016: A Quilting and Sewing Year in Review