Deployment Mini Quilt




Deployment Mini Quilt



I initially wanted to make a small wall hanging during hubby's deployment for both of us for when he gets back.  I saw a similar design, I want to say on Pinterest.  What caught my eye with the design was the stars that were blended into the layout.  I changed this for my design to have 9 stars, one for each month of deployment.  I also wanted to work on this when hubby was gone. Similar to my first red, white, and blue quilt, I wanted to make a patriotic therapy quilt.






I like to segment different sections of the quilting process into different days. For the first day of actually working with the fabric, I cut all the squares out.  They measure 2.5 inches by 2.5 inches.  Though, if I were to do this again, I would make the squares 2 inches by 2 inches. (Or possibly remind myself to increase the seam allowance, like I initially meant to do.)





After piecing the top together, which I did in sections over three days, Astrid kept laying on it. I had to keep moving her off of it just to pin it. Someone was missing her person.  Luckily when I started machine quilting this, the noise from the machine kept her off of it.  Had I hand quilted it, it'd be another story.




For the quilting, I decided to go around the inside of the stars. I sewed all the stars in one day.  Then I went along the stripes and around the blue to finish the quilting. That took me a few days. For the quilting I used a variegated thread in red, white, and blue.  I love using variegated and ombre thread for quilting as you can match it to the quilt and, most importantly, I don't have to switch threads while quilting.







The backing consists of two fabrics.  The red, white, and blue fabric is left over fabric from my red, white, and blue quilt.  The digital camo fabric is from hubby's old and ripped (so unusable / not appropriate to donate) ACU's from when we first met.

On the back, I whip stitched some of the blue solid fabric to make it easier to hang.












Happy creating, and happy quilting!






For business inquires, contact me at: KristinVictoriaArt@gmail.com

To view prints on various items, visit: society6.com/KristinVictoria

To view more photos from the studio and my life on flickr, visit: tinyurl.com/kvartflickr

Follow me on Twitter, at: @KristinV_Art

Find me on Instagram at: instagram.com/kvjaenicke17

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Making: Magazine Junk Journal

Christmas Mini Quilts - Getting the Most From 5 Fat Quarters

2016: A Quilting and Sewing Year in Review