My Top Quilting and Sewing Tips and Tricks

My Top Quilting Tips and Tricks



- Tape on Rulers - 

Before I had washi tape, I would use painters tape.  When cutting mass amounts of fabric this helps me make fewer mistakes. It's also one other way to make things a bit more colorful. I still usually keep a piece or two on rules to make those irregular cuts a little easier.


- Chain Piecing - 

I love this. Seriously. I love this. I almost can't stand not chain piecing now. It saves string and makes the smaller parts come together faster.


- Leader Scrap Piece for Chain Piecing - 

For smaller pieces, which I've slowly become addicted to, this is wonderful.  It helps on so many levels and aids when chain piecing blocks get down to the last few seams that need to be sewn.



- Pressing Seams Open - 

I love doing this for small piecing projects, triangles, and anything with a great amount of detail.  I also love how flat the material lays when this technique is used.  


- Nesting Seams -

Oh, how I wish I would have started this earlier.  It's a little weird to get used to at first, but it's totally worth it.  Pressing seams in opposite directions works wonders on small and big projects a like.  It also helps to keep points more on point.













- Colored Pins and Safety Pins - 

I use these, in some form of rainbow order, to simplify what I'm doing. This might be more organization than most people need, but I enjoy the extra color and it helps make various processes more easily achievable for me.

I use colored pins to keep track of sewing / placement order while doing mass piecing. I usually start with the lightest color pin and move, in a rainbow fashion to the darkest (if I'm using greens, blues or pinks as I have a varied color palate of those pins).

And I use colored buttons on large safety pins to keep track of where I need to sew next on large hand quilting projects.  This way, I can rotate the quilt to the next color pin instead of laying it out and finding the next spot.



Happy creating, and happy sewing!







For business inquires, contact me at: KristinVictoriaArt@gmail.com

To view prints on various items, visit: society6.com/KristinVictoria

To view more photos from the studio and my life on flickr, visit: tinyurl.com/kvartflickr

Follow me on Twitter, at: @KristinV_Art

Find me on Goodreads at: tinyurl.com/kj-reads


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Making: Magazine Junk Journal

Christmas Mini Quilts - Getting the Most From 5 Fat Quarters

2016: A Quilting and Sewing Year in Review