2017 TBR List




Happy New Year!

2016 was a great reading year for me even though I didn't do a TBR. I went through books faster than I have in a long time. I usually stay away from TBRs and read whatever I fancy at the time.  However, 2017 is looking to be an amazing and terrifying year. 17 is my favorite number and I'm hoping that it will be wonderful regardless what happens. There are many new adventures awaiting us with this new year. A few of these adventures are in the forms of books. In making this list, they literally took up a whole shelf, hopefully I can get through most of them. The books I hope to read throughout this new year are as follows.






Esme of Paris is a reread, and I adored it the first time. In 2015, I actually found a copy of it that was signed by Esme Davis herself, and it is one of my most valued and favorite books (paired with my loved and signed copy of 1 Dead in Attic by Chris Rose, I adored that as well.) Seed of the Serpent is her only other book that I am aware of. I'm hoping I enjoy it as much as her first book.

Esme of Paris by Esme Davis (reread)

Seed of the Serpent by Esme Davis





My collection of play by William Shakespeare is almost complete. I adore his humor, sorrow, and wit. I'm setting a general goal of reading 5 of his plays this year, so these may change.

The Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare (reread)

Macbeth by William Shakespeare (reread)

Henry IV Part One by William Shakespeare

Henry IV Part Two by William Shakespeare

Richard III by William Shakespeare





J. R. R. Tolkien is also a favorite of mine. I first read the Hobbit in 6th grade at the age of 11, the Fellowship at age 12, Two Towers at 12 or 13, and Return of the King at age 13. They were wonderful and I fell in love with his writing and the depths of the worlds he created. I've been wanting to reread them for some time and I think 2017 is perfect for it.

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (reread)

The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (reread)

The Two Towers by J. R. R. Tolkien (reread)

The Return of the King by J. R. R. Tolkien (reread)





2017 is also the year that I want to finish working on my manuscript for my first poetry book. And I think the best way to encourage myself to finish is to read lots of poetry to remind myself how amazing poetry can be when you're simply enjoying it rather than stressing about deadlines and various bits.

Love is an Attitude by Walter Rinder

Range of Light by Catharine Savage Brosman

The Mystery of Meteors by Eleanor Lerman





These additional poetry books are on this list for two reasons. First they are a continuation of my love of poetry. And second, my husband, as of now, is being deployed this year. The theme of love in these poetry books I think will be therapeutic as well as hopefully a good read.

Essence of Love by Terrance Van Blackwell

Mystic Fire by James Kavanaugh

Maybe if I Loved You More by James Kavanaugh





These are a few that I've had on my shelves for awhile and they've been begging for some love.

Stories from a Soldier's Heart by Alice Gray and Chuck Holton

Women Wartime Spies by Ann Kramer

Unless Victory Comes: Combat with a World War II Machine Gunner in Patton's Third Army by Gene Garrison with Patrick Gilbert





Early in 2016 I read Troubles by J. G. Farrell, and before that various poetry and folk lore of Britain and Ireland, and these two babies are just feeding my love and need for historical knowledge of a far away land.

Ireland 1798 - 1998 by Alvin Jackson

A Rage for Order: Poetry of the Northern Ireland Troubles by Frank Ormsby





Both of these books have the nitty-gritty information and bits that I love to read and find out about historical events. Monuments Men, specifically, I have be meaning to read since the end of 2013, after graduating college. I'm looking forward to watching the movie after I've read the book.

The Secret History of MI6 1909 - 1949 by Keith Jeffrey

The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History by Robert M. Edsel





I think these four will be great for disappearing into, which might be necessary for me throughout this possibly stressful year.

My Blue Notebooks PA: The Intimate Journal of Paris's Most Beautiful and Notorious Courtesan by Liane do Pougy

Seven Ages of Paris by Alistair Horne

Dancing for Degas by Kathryn Wagner

The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant





Honestly, with these three, I'm simply curious. I know I'm going to get something out of these, and I can't wait to find out what.

The Measure of a Man: A Spiritual Autobiography by Sidney Poitier

Quiet Moments in War: The Letters of Jean-Peal Sartre to Simone de Beauvoit, 1940 - 1963

Army Wives The Unwritten Code of Military Marriage by Tanya Biank





I wanted to round out the general list with a few classics and another Tolkien.

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (reread)

Unfinished Tales: The Lost Lore of Middle-earth by J. R. R. Tolkien





Happy creating, and happy reading!




For business inquires, contact me at: KristinVictoriaArt@gmail.com

To view original paintings, visit: etsy.com/shop/KristinVictoriaArt

To view prints on various items, visit: society6.com/KristinVictoria

To view more photos from the studio and my life on flickr, visit: tinyurl.com/kvartflickr

Follow me on Twitter, at: @KristinV_Art

Find me on Instagram at: instagram.com/kvjaenicke17

Find me on Goodreads at: tinyurl.com/kj-reads

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Making: Magazine Junk Journal

Christmas Mini Quilts - Getting the Most From 5 Fat Quarters

2016: A Quilting and Sewing Year in Review