Art Journaling: Mission Inspiration, January 2017




Mission Inspiration - January 2017






For the first step I glued down torn strips of patterned security envelopes from various junk mail. I had these angled going from the bottom left to the top right of both pages.   






For the second step, I glued down thick ribbon with matt medium and left over trimmings of quilting cotton fabric to add even more texture.






For the third step, I covered the page with a navy paint I made by mixing a medium blue and a small amount of black, and with a light blue I made by mixing the same medium blue, white, and matt medium.  I wanted the texture of the security envelopes and the texture of the ribbon and fabric to pop and still show through, so I applied the paint sparingly.






For the fourth step, I wrote irregularly across both pages, as well as writing some of it back wards. I used a black Pigma Micron 03 marker.  I originally saw Jopke do this in her videos; I loved the idea and couldn't wait to replicate that technique.

For the fifth step, I honestly struggled with this for a bit. I had originally had set aside a blue-teal butterfly clipping that I was going to use, but the page ended up not having as much teal in it.  Instead I used an old mock up of a painting that I had made to text technique and colors on. I cut from that piece various hearts for the focal point.  I used a black ink pad to darken the edges.






For the sixth step, I watered down some black acrylic paint to splatter across both pages as well as to hide a little more of the journaling text. 

For the seventh step, I added more black acrylic to the page by using the bottom of my water cup to get cup ring "stamps."  I really like how this gave minor focal points throughout the page and added shapes and texture in a subtle way.






For the eighth step, I used more of the mock up that I used for the hearts.  This time I cut small strips of it and arranged it around the page for a boarder.  I typically haven't used a lot of boarders in the past, but I really like how this one came out and tied it all together.

For my first Mission Inspiration, I am rather pleased with the out come. I was afraid at a few points in creating this piece that I might have to start over, but I'm glad I pushed through.

If you're interested in joining the Mission Inspiration Facebook group, I highly recommend it.  It's a great place to share your work and gain more inspiration.



Happy creating, and happy art journaling!







For business inquires, contact me at: KristinVictoriaArt@gmail.com

To view original paintings, visit: etsy.com/shop/KristinVictoriaArt

To view prints on various items, visit: society6.com/KristinVictoria

To view more photos from the studio and my life on flickr, visit: tinyurl.com/kvartflickr

Follow me on Twitter, at: @KristinV_Art

Find me on Instagram at: instagram.com/kvjaenicke17

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Making: Magazine Junk Journal

Christmas Mini Quilts - Getting the Most From 5 Fat Quarters

2016: A Quilting and Sewing Year in Review