Art Journaling: Mission Inspiration, February 2017




Mission Inspiration - February 2017









February 2017:

1. Apply texture paste to your page.
2. Add colour with paint or spray.
3. Glue fragments of book or music text.
4. Glue patterned paper shapes.
5. Add hand journaling, scribbles, or quote.
6. Add a focal image or two or three!
7. Add Washi tape or paper strips.
8. Splatter with paint or gesso.






This is how my page looked before I truly started.  It has a preliminary messy layer of hand made gray gesso, that was applied some time ago as it was left over from a previous spread.  I added some journaling over the whole of both sides.  With these two textures layered down, I started with the first step and added some home made white texture paste randomly over the page.






For the second step, of adding color with paint or spray, I started with adding an acrylic paint in teal.  When that was dried, I added a bright pastel teal water color paint while focusing on making drips of it throughout so that it would catch in the paste and really pop.






For the third step, I added text fragments that I had previously painted with the same bright pastel teal water color paint.  For the fourth step, I was planning on cutting out small heart shapes and gluing them down throughout. However, I only ended up liking one or two of the hearts I cut out and instead glued down small deep teal squares instead.






The fifth step, I opted for adding scribbles as there was already journaling incorporated into the background. I started making the scribbles with various micron pens, then moving to a bigger tipped 1-2mm Staedtler permanent lumocolor marker later as I wasn't getting the pop of black that I wanted.






For the sixth step, I loved and ran with the idea of using multiple focal images.  Last Black Friday, we got a new printer and needless to say my art journaling has benefited from this investment.  I went with three photos of my hubby and I.  The photo on the left is still one of my favorites of us, taken when we were still dating.






For the seventh step, I didn't have any washi tape that matched the color palette so I went with strips of the same dark teal patterned paper that I used for the small squares.  I used the strips to somewhat frame the photos.






For the last step, I used lightly watered down black acrylic paint to splatter across the page.  






In finishing the steps, I thought it still needed some work.  This is when I went back in with the Staedtler marker, adding more scribbles and underlining certain words in the text fragments, I also added one of the small, deep, teal hearts that I cut out earlier, and to finish, I got a little stamp happy.  I stamped "love" throughout both sides of the pages with a black ink.  I realize that the stamping I did should have been part of the fifth step. Hindsight is twenty-twenty, I didn't think of adding additional text until the very end.






Once I felt it was fully finished, I used my date stamp to date it, and signed it.












Hubby enjoyed seeing this page, and thought the placement of the heart was a great touch.



If you're interested in joining the Mission Inspiration Facebook group, I highly recommend it.  It's a great place to share your work and gain more inspiration.



Happy creating, and happy art journaling!






For business inquires, contact me at: KristinVictoriaArt@gmail.com

To view original paintings, visit: etsy.com/shop/KristinVictoriaArt

To view prints on various items, visit: society6.com/KristinVictoria

To view more photos from the studio and my life on flickr, visit: tinyurl.com/kvartflickr

Follow me on Twitter, at: @KristinV_Art

Find me on Instagram at: instagram.com/kvjaenicke17


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Making: Magazine Junk Journal

Christmas Mini Quilts - Getting the Most From 5 Fat Quarters

2016: A Quilting and Sewing Year in Review